Get a real understanding of Waihi's history with a Museum school visit.
A visit to the museum involves a talk, some hands-on activities and exploration of the museum exhibits. The talk briefly covers the following:
- How mining began in Waihi
- The early mining process of extracting the gold from the quartz rock
- What is was like working in the mine around 1900
The museum exhibits include:
- A replica underground tunnel
- Detailed models
- Items from mining and associated activities
- An extensive rock collection
- The cells where in 1912, striking miners were jailed.
How long does the visit take?
Allow about 75 minutes for the group visit. If your group has a restricted time frame then we can modify the visit to suit.
How much does the visit cost?
Please send in a booking request with your group details and we can provide a cost for you.
For school groups the cost is $3 per person.